I had a dream last night I was back in high school except members of Morning Musume were my classmates; namely Sayumi, Aika, Reina and Ai-chan. There may have been a few others, but those are the girls I remember specifically. We were sitting at a big table collaborating on some big project, but really just kind of goofing around instead.
Archive for the ‘Other’ Category
I miss OGs!
I’m going with my top 10 because after that I arranged people by my preference for their unit.
1. Linlin previous ranking #8 – Holy crap do I love Linlin, and man did she move up on my list! As I started to watch more behind the scenes videos and TV appearances she just grew on me until she took my number one spot. She’s funny, has an awesome sense of humor, and can sing. I think she has the best set of pipes in all of Hello!Project today.
2. Mitsui Aika previous ranking #7 – Aika! I love her personality. She’s always smiling, but at the same time strikes me as the kind of person who wouldn’t hesitate to tell you like it is. I love confident people.
3. Michishige Sayumi previous ranking #10 – Sayu. Sayu. Sayu. The little viper of Momusu. She can’t really sing, and her “I’m so cute!” shtick is annoying, but reading her blog she strikes me as someone who I could easily be friends with in real life. She’s very open, isn’t afraid to take pictures of herself and post them on her blog when she looks less than her best, and she’s not afraid to say what she feels. She strikes me as the most “real” in her image and I really like that.
4. Tanaka Reina previous ranking #5 – Reina makes the list for the same reason she made the list last year, Reina is Reina. She’s strong and cute and the type of woman I want to be.
5. Fukuda Kanon previous ranking — – Kanon! I really can’t believe she’s in my top 5, but I really like her! She is just so cute and energetic, and reminds me (and everyone else apparently) of a young Aibon. She stood out immediately in Shugo Chara Egg! and I am so glad she’s been placed in an actual unit.
6 – 9. Takahashi Ai, Niigaki Risa, Kamei Eri, Linlin previous ranking — Man, you know, I love Momusu as a whole but really, neither Ai nor Risa nor Eri nor Linlin really stand out amongst each other to me. In truth I should have put Eri in front of Risa. Risa just seems to be trying to hard for me lately, maybe it’s just me. I really love them all, but if I had to put them in order of favorite members I’d really just rattle off their names as whomever came to me first. That’s a damn shame.
10. Yajima Maimi previous ranking — – I really freaking like C-ute, more than Berryz. They’re my second favorite group in Momusu. Honestly I don’t know the names of the girls (holy crap) as almost all my attention all the time is given to Momusu, but I love their music, so that’s why she lands in the number 10 spot.
1. Morning Musume – Does this need an explanation?
2. C-ute – I love C-ute!
3. Buono! – Buono! has had some awesome singles, and I love their image.
4. S/mileage – So far I have loved everything they’ve put out. I can’t wait for their major debut!
5. Guardians 4 – They ranked this high because of Aika, and I really like Aika!
6. Berryz Koubou – Jesus, I really think they should have placed higher, but more often than not I’m not really paying attention to them. They’ve had some awesome singles, but somehow, they just don’t command my attention at all.
7. Erina Mano – Poor Mano. I play the piano myself, I should be really liking this girl, but I just find her so completely boring. It’s not her fault, it’s her image, but man, she just doesn’t interest me at all.
So that’s that! That’s my 2010 ranking! I really miss the OGs, and my list would probably be a lot different if they were included, but alas, this is current H!P members only. It had to be easier on Paul though, losing so many people to keep track of!
It’s been 3 and a half years since I last made a winamp skin, what with iPod being invented, mp3 players on your computer don’t really get used that often (by me at least). But I’ve been getting back in the habit and thought it might be fun to do a Momusu skin. I wanted to do something other than one of the girls against a white background, and when I saw this pic of Aika, it really jumped out at me. So here it is!
For Winamp Classic I guess.
Shuffle and repeat buttons are visible when turned on, EQ and Playlist buttons appear when turned off. The load button is in the vicinity of her left eyebrow. I left it out to try and not cover her face. I had to chuckle at myself when making it. Back in the day images 275 pixels were 1/2 of your monitor resolution, now-a-days that’s incredibly tiny!
I might be doing more of these.
Excuse me while I go “I walked uphill to school both ways!” on you for a moment.
I got on the internet back in ’96. At the time, if you wanted to hear music, pretty much the only thing available to you was midis. I didn’t live anywhere near a shop that had heard of, much less stocked any japanese music. My friends and I used to hold tape recorders up to the TV to tape the ending and opening theme songs of anime to get our japanese pop fix. The first japanese PV I saw was Wink’s Kitto Atsui Kuchibiru which some kind soul had tacked on at the end of a 3rd generation fansub tape.
Eventually, Napster came along, and it was like a godsend. A whole new world of japanese music was opened up to me. However, not knowing the names of any bands, and information being so god damned scarce, your best bet was to type in “jpop” and see what you got in response. TWO-MIX was big at the time, and I had recorded off the computer tapes of their songs. A lot of what I found at the time was in some way or other related to anime, as that was all a majority of kids stateside had access to at the time. (Incidentally all my mp3s are still kept in my original Napster folder. FUCK YOU METALLICA!)
Somehow or other I got a hold of two mp3s of Nanase Aikawa. One was Cosmic Love, the other I think was Heat of the Night. I was blown away. Who was this chick with the hard rock sound and the amazing vocals? I had to find more but where?
It was around March of 2000 that my sister and I gathered up a bunch of friends, piled into the car, and drove to Boston and Cambridge Mass. to check out the anime shopping there. Across the street from the Harvard Square station was an amazingly
expensive little bookstore, Sasuga Books. I had a habit of dropping in excess of $300 every time I went there. Blowing whole paychecks on that store alone. I didn’t buy much music there (mostly manga) as at the time I thought $30 per CD was outrageously expensive (little did I know).
But I digress, it was during this first trip that I just happened across the newly released album by Nanase Aikawa, FOXTROT. Holy crap. HERE SHE WAS! I was beyond ecstatic. The whole rest of the shopping trip I couldn’t wait to get back to the car so I could listen to that CD. I played it the whole ride home, I played it when I got home, I played it driving to and from work every day, I played it to death. It is not an exaggeration to say that I LOVED and still LOVE that album.
Nanase is very awesome as she was and still is very much Rock n’ Roll. She is the standard to which I hold up all other JRock female artists. I read that in the summer of 07 she went back into the studio to start work on her new album. I can’t wait to see what she has in store!
I’m going to leave you with an invitation to blog about your own first Jpop CD purchases, a promise for an almost decade on track by track review, and the PV for one of my favorite tracks off FOXTROT, Jealousy. Amazingly I couldn’t find the video on Youtube, so I’m providing the Veoh link.
The video is a RIOT to watch. Nanase and her caucasian boyfriend take in a gay homeless man. Said gay homeless man then proceeds to seduce Nanase’s boyfriend into bed. Nanase catches them together, then walks the streets in gloom/despair and runs into a bunch of tranvestites under a bridge. Later gay homeless man attempts to stab Nanase in jealousy, but her boyfriend takes it to the gut instead and instantly dies. In a rage, gay homeless man decides to smash a very nice white car with a sledgehammer for no reason whatsoever. Also, there are random shots of Jell-o/jelly falling to the floor throughout. But the song…. the song is awesome.